Home About What I Wore Contact Image Map

Thursday, February 28, 2013

DIY Vintage Inspired Nightstand Tray

Because my room is so tiny and my bed is right up next to the radiator, I don't really have any room for a bedside table. It's not much of an inconvenience, since I can set my glasses, etc. on the radiator, but to keep my room from looking cluttered I decided to make a small tray to keep it all on at night.

My inspiration was the vanity trays that used to be so popular, but I wanted a more modern feel since I want to make sure my room stays updated looking despite all the florals/general vintage feel. I'm really pleased with the result, and the best part is that the whole project cost me less than $10!

Needed:
*frame
spray paint
scrap-booking paper 

I think this project is pretty self-explanatory, but for the sake of argument (and a well formatted post!) I'm going to explain what I did anyway:

1) Take the glass + cardboard out of your frame and spray paint it your desired color. Mine took about two coats, and I painted the front and back since you can see the underside of mine when it's sitting out.
2) While the paint is drying use the glass/piece of cardboard from the back to cut your scrap booking paper the correct size.
3) After the paint is fully dry (I let mine sit a full 24 hours just to be certain), resemble the frame with the scrap-booking paper where the picture would normally be. 

And ta-dah! You've got your very own vintage inspired nightstand tray! Guarenteed to keep all your odds and ends safe at night while you slumber away in dream land. ♥

*(thrift stores are great places to pick up nice frames cheap)


If you try out this project I'd love to see a photo of it! You can email me, shoot me a tweet, or tag me in your photo on Instagram! Happy DIYing!

xo,

Katie


3 comments:

Thank you so much for deciding to comment! I always love hearing from people who enjoy my blog, and try to return the favor whenever possible.

Please note, however, that swearing and such talk is not allowed on here, and I reserve the right to delete any comments containing such speech. Let's keep this family friendly, ok?

Thanks again for commenting and I hope you have a lovely day!