Home About What I Wore Contact Image Map

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How to Take Your Own Outfit Photos




I made this video several months ago. I know that lots of bloggers have already done "how to take outfit photos" posts, but I thought I'd add my two cents in - and also try doing something besides just a normal post. For more tips, keep reading.





Not going to lie. This is the thing I struggle with the most when it comesto outfit posts. It sems like all the best locations are a) on private property or b) extremely hard to get to. My best tip is just to keep your eye out when you're out and about, and if you're shy about going, try taking a friend with you. If all else fails, a simple brick wall never fails!






If possible I recommend using a DSLR camera. They provide clearer photos, and make the background blurrier, which is great because the outfit stands out better! I usually take my big, black purse with me and use that as a marker to focus on. If you don't bring something with to use as a marker, try using a stick or a flower or a tree or something.






This is another tricky part. The biggest tip I have, is to just try to be yourself. Just try to be confident - stand tall and try lots of different poses till you find a few that look good. Then when you're in a hurry you'll know what to do without having to spend a lot of time messing about.






Props are a great way to loosen up and get some good shots. I usually bring my purse, and use my accessories + whatever I can find around where I'm taking pictures. I hold flowers, grasp tree branches, hold my necklace, sunglasses, etc. Whatever you can make work!




I hope this helps! If you have any additional tips or tricks go ahead and leave a comment. I'd love to hear 'em!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, Adam Young music playing. JUST COOL! I'd so do outfit pictures if he would come and play songs while I did them. Wait, did I just say that out loud...

    You know, all that work, that's why I don't do outfit pictures. Without Adam Young there, it is just soooo much work. And I'm lazy. And cameras hate me. And the wind would blow them over. And my hair would stand on end. And my skirt would flap about. And...and Steve's girlfriend and Howard's wife would look pretty in outfit pictures...I bet her hair would flap about. And her skirts are straight and would stay down. Peter would be the same way. Only Pepper might not get in front of the camera in time, you know, heels and all.

    Speaking of videos, watch these. Now.

    http://vimeo.com/41336559

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UcxhWCj0Uo0

    I SO can't believe it is Tony and Thor fighting! I was certain it would be Steve who finally let tony have it. So, either Tony made Thor REALLY mad or Thor just got back to earth and they think each other is bad. I;m going with Tony making Thor mad...

    And Tony should SO be glad Thor is on his side. He almost broke his armor. And, lastly, JARVIS!!!!!!!!!!!

    Okay, I'm leaving now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lied. Watch this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=v2TYA7t3MmY

    "I have an army." "We have a Hulk."
    And now I would say good bye again, but, you know. I might find another. And, seriously, you of all people have to watch them all with me. You are my fellow Avenger Geek. (If we were going to see it together we would kind of have to dress up as our favourite Avengers. And you KNOW I would make you do that.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, did I just called Pepper Peter? That is an, well, he is blushing and she's upset. Hm, majorly odd, dyslexic mistake. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this video. You know i never thought to buy a tripod and do it myself, My poor husband has to do all the photos and truthfully i think he is sick of it. You make it look so easy though, i feel so out of it in outfit posts so far. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for deciding to comment! I always love hearing from people who enjoy my blog, and try to return the favor whenever possible.

Please note, however, that swearing and such talk is not allowed on here, and I reserve the right to delete any comments containing such speech. Let's keep this family friendly, ok?

Thanks again for commenting and I hope you have a lovely day!